How to Use QVAR®
Instructions for cleaning and safely using your QVAR®
Before using QVAR®, learn how to use and clean your inhaler. Watch
our QVAR® instructional video about inhaler usage and cleaning. Be sure to use your asthma control inhaler regularly,
as directed by your doctor. QVAR® even has a built-in dose counter to help you know
when it is time to refill your prescription.
Instructions for taking a dose from your QVAR® inhaler
- REMOVE the plastic cap and be sure there are no foreign objects in the mouthpiece.
- Make sure the canister is firmly seated in the plastic mouthpiece adapter and check
the dose counter to make sure you have doses left. If needed, prime by releasing 2 puffs
into the air, away from your face. If you’re priming for the first time, the inhaler will
show a black dot in the dose counter window. After priming 2 times, the dose counter
should read “120.” Your inhaler is now ready to use.
- Breathe out as fully as you comfortably can. Hold the inhaler in your mouth. Close
your lips around the mouthpiece, keeping your tongue below it.
- While breathing in deeply and slowly, press down on the canister with your finger.
When you have finished breathing in, hold your breath for as long as comfortably possible
- Take your finger off the canister and remove the inhaler from your mouth. Breathe out gently.
- If your doctor has told you to take more than 1 inhalation per treatment, repeat steps 3 through 5.
- Rinse your mouth out with water.
Clean the inhaler at least once a week
- DO NOT WASH YOUR INHALER OR GET ANY PART OF IT WET
- Clean the mouthpiece weekly with a clean, dry tissue or cloth
When to discard your inhaler
- The QVAR® inhaler comes with a dose counter that tells you how many doses are left
- When the dose counter reaches 20, the number will change to red, indicating that you should ask your doctor about getting
- When the dose counter reaches 0 or your inhaler reaches its expiration date, you should discard your inhaler, even if it doesn’t seem empty. If you use your inhaler after the dose counter reaches 0, you may not receive the correct amount of medicine
DO NOT TAKE EXTRA DOSES OR STOP TAKING QVAR® without consulting